Friday, April 5, 2013

Baking Day - Chocolate Chip Cookies & Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

 

Yesterday I promised the cookie and muffin recipes.  Everyone really loved everything. My grandson had an exhausting day of baking.  We spend a lot of time together.  I'm not just the Mimi, I'm daycare too. Yesterday we were working the clean as you go method.  Teach'em young.  I think that he had more fun playing in the sink then baking.  Although he really loved the tasting.  :)

 

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies 

These cookies turned out chewy and delicious, I was pleasantly surprised. The last few times I made whole wheat cookies they where quite dry.  But I think that I have figured out the trick.  See what you think!

Cream together:

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
2 eggs

Then add the dry ingredients.

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 package semisweet chocolate chips

At this point it was quite dry the dough was not sticking to the chocolate chips.  So I drizzled some water on the mixture very little... just enough to make the dough sticky.  I would say that in all I probably used a tablespoon.  This is the trick and I think that the amount may vary... so a little at a time until the dough is sticky, the chocolate chips will begin to stay in the dough. 

Drop by spoonful (I used a tablespoon, I like my cookies bigger than a quarter) about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake in preheated 350 oven for 8-10 minutes.  Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.  Makes about 5 dozen 3 inch cookies.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins 


I wanted to make something with a little less butter and sugar so I re-created a muffin recipe.  I have reduced my intake of sugar, so just making cookies at all was a treat.  As much as I loved the cookies, I think I liked these muffins even more.  I substituted applesauce for the oil and eggs, and a little extra for good measure.  Not all the recipes I have created turn out so good. But I would say that these are one of my success stories.  The muffins turned out so moist and rich.  Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 400,  Spray muffin tins, I used olive oil spray.  This batch made 18 muffins.

Combine:

1 small can (@15-16ounces) unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup light sour cream
3/4 cup 2% milk
2/3 cup brown sugar

Stir in the dry ingredients all at once, just until flour is moistened.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups quick oats
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full.  Before baking, make a mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, sprinkle a little on the top of each muffin.  Bake until golden brown, about 22 minutes.  Immediately remove from pan.

I am not sure how healthy the recipe is but it has to be better than a cup of vegetable oil, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of whole milk.  :)





7 comments:

  1. Yum! If only I had applesauce! Which gives me an idea... When you do canning you should definitely post how to do canning.. Then I could can my own applesauce, when I find apples at a great price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, canning will surely be a hot topic as the gardening season progresses. Applesauce is an easy one. I am hoping to get some apples from Pav's tree this year too. Although our apple trees produced really well last year. Right now I would just love to be able to see where my garden is. It is still covered with about 18 inches of snow... It might be a couple days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'll be watching for it... And good luck losing that snow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the equivalent measurement for 1 can applesauce? I buy mine in a large glass jar. Want to try this recipe today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure it was a 16 oz. can @ 2 cups

      Delete
  5. Thanks! I did make them today but used a can of pumpkin instead of the applesauce. Also substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream. They are tasty but I think an egg would help. Will try your recipe exact in a day or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! This morning I gathered ingredients to make muffins today. Greek yogurt, a small can of pumpkin, raisins. I was planning on adding an egg too. I think that the applesauce is a better substitute for egg than pumpkin. But pumpkin surely works in place of oil. I will let you know how they turn out.

      Delete