Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chicks are Peeping

Last night I didn't wake until 4:15 a.m.  "Oh, my!" was my reaction as became aware of my surroundings.  The chicks hadn't awakened me all night.  Hope everything was going well and no one was starving or dying thirst.  That instant of panic.... all you moms know the feeling... you know, when the baby sleeps thru the night for the first time.  I rushed to the chick nursery... Everyone was fast asleep. 

Water needed to be freshened and the feed needed to be topped off.  Of course, I sent everyone into a tizzy as I pulled out all the containers and started to fill and return them. I try to always have fresh cool water for them to drink.  The lights that keep the chicks warm also tend to warm the water.  I like to change it at least 3 times a day, sometimes more. 

If you give them to much food they just seem to waist it.  So, my rule tends to be a little, more often.  This evening I am planning to make a bigger area for them.  All of the chicks will then be together.  I have the bantams separated at this time but they seem to be doing really well.  I think the time has come to introduce them to the other chicks.  I want to have them together and acclimated to each other before I introduce them to the coop.  That will be a little while.... remember it was snowing here yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment