Monday, April 1, 2013

Baby Ducks and Chicks

 

Although there is snow still gently falling....

Spring is in the air... 


The news of chicks is a sure sign of spring.  Even when everything all around you is doubting the presence of spring.  New life always signals new beginnings.  It warms my heart to see my grandchildren with the chicks and baby ducks.  It is a whole new clutch for Garden of Eden Farm.  The sound of peeping is sure to have this grandma rising early.  Oh, and yes there is a feeding during the night... usually about 2-3 a.m.  Babies in the house again!   
It has been a couple years since we have had chickens or ducks.  My grandson seems to be pretty excited about these.  We didn't get any of the Americana (Easter Eggers).  They are my favorite breed.  The eggs that they lay are from light blue to olive green.  Maybe we can find some locally.  Or we might have to wait until next spring.  We picked up our chicks from Tractor Supply.  It was such a fast trip in, pick chicks and a couple ducks and out we went.  Now I will have to investigate what type of chickens we did get.  I know that they will lay brown eggs.  Silly Mimi. 
 
We also have a few bantams too so maybe we will get a couple hens who will hatch out a clutch or two.  Oops, getting ahead of myself here.  Wouldn't want to start counting chickens before they hatch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment